The Lafayette County Planning & Economic Development Office has jurisdiction over only the unincorporated areas of Lafayette County, or those areas outside of city limits. If you live within an incorporated city, you will need to contact your city hall regarding any planning and zoning matters as they have jurisdiction inside their city boundaries.
The role of the Lafayette County Planning Department is to encourage and protect investment in Lafayette County. Responsibilities of the department include:
- Implement the Comprehensive Plan, which is the long-range guide for development;
- Administer the Land Use Development Code, which includes all County zoning and subdivision regulations;
- Process applications for building permits, sewage permits, rezoning, special use permits, variances, farm splits, conservation subdivisions, development plans and more;
- Provide recommendations and support to the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Adjustment and the County Commission; and
- Provide information to the public, including realtors, appraisers, developers, contractors and property owners.
The Planning Department also is the ideal starting point to learn more about investing in Lafayette County. If we don’t have the information you need, we’ll get it for you or make sure to get you to the right place.Land Use Development Code and Comprehensive Plan: Land Development Code 2016
pdf Comprehensive Plan
pdfView County Maps: Future Land Use Map
pdf (adopted April 2013) Tiers Map
pdf (adopted April 2013) Draft Zoning Map 2013
For general purposes only. To inquire about specific property zoning please call 660-259-4439. Updated zoning can also be found on the County GIS map.
__________________________________________LAFAYETTE COUNTY IS A ZONED COUNTYPlease do not purchase land, divide land, start construction, begin a business, or plan development in unincorporated parts of the County without first consulting the Lafayette County Planning & Economic Development Office. Permits must be issued prior to beginning any construction, or associated fines will be applied.Residential Building Permit Application Forms
Please download the permits, fill out, and return in person to the Planning and Economic Development office or E-mail
. Please contact us if you have any questions at 660-259-4439.Building Permit FormSeptic Permit FormRoad District Driveway Access Form911 Address Request Form
(submit with building permit application)