Frequently Asked Questions


Where do I go to register to vote?
-The County Clerk’s office, on the main floor of the Courthouse handles all voting registration.

How do I request an absentee ballot?
-Contact the County Clerk’s office. The County Clerk can make arrangements to have an absentee ballot mailed to your current address.

I have moved within a city, how do I change my voter information?
-By contacting the City Clerk at City Hall. The City Clerk will then forward the address change to the County Clerk.  For a list of city hall contact information visit the City Contact webpage.


Where do I go to pay my court fee?
 -Court costs and fines may be paid at the Circuit Clerk's Office located on the 2nd floor of Lafayette Hall or paid by phone with a credit card though the Pay By Web option at or calling 660-259-6101.

How do I find out when my court date is?
- By calling the Circuit Clerk at 660-259-6101 or reviewing your case at

Where is the courtroom located?
-There are four County courtrooms. One is located on the second floor of the Courthouse, and the other three are located in Lafayette Hall and are designated as Courtrooms A, B and C.

Where is Lafayette Hall?
-Lafayette Hall is on the corner of 10th Street and Franklin.

I was chosen for jury duty, but I cannot serve, who do I contact?
-Please contact the Presiding Judges Secretary at 660-463-5834.  Jury information is also available on the Jury Information link on the Courts tab on the main page of the Lafayette County website.


Where do I go to pay my personal property tax?
-The County Collector’s office, just inside the main entrance of the Courthouse.

Where do I obtain a merchants license?
-The County Collector’s office, just inside the main entrance of the Courthouse

Where do I get a marriage license?
- The Recorder of Deed’s office, on the second floor of the Courthouse.

How do I report a problem on a county road?
-By contacting your road district commissioner.

Where do I go if I have recently purchased or sold property?
 -The Assessor’s office, located on the main floor of the Courthouse.

When is the County Commission in session?
-The County Commission is in session on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings beginning at 8:30 am. The Commission meeting room is on the main floor of the Courthouse.

How do I obtain a building permit?
-The Planning and Economic Development department handles all building permits.

How do I deposit money in an inmate’s account?
-To deposit money in a Lafayette County inmate electronically, use the Sheriff’s webpage at:  

Does Lafayette County have an Emergency Action Plan?
-Yes, the plan is located on the Emergency Management page on this website. Questions regarding Emergency Management may be directed to (660)259-6551.